- Just because someone with female reproductive organs is pregnant does not mean the fetus will survive until its birth. Approximately, 30 percent (or more) of all pregnancies end in what is called a “spontaneous abortion,” more commonly called a “miscarriage.” The number is likely higher because this often happens before a person knows they are pregnant and because of social stigma, occurrences are not always reported.
- Humans have been having abortions for millions of years. Nothing is going to change this. When/where abortion has been outlawed, abortion still happens but only becomes more dangerous.
- People purporting to be “pro-life” are historically only pro-life until the “life” in question actually begins.
- Current regulations related to abortion have often been made exclusively or almost exclusively by rich powerful White men–men who refuse to listen to women and men who at times have had affairs and have paid for their girlfriend to have an abortion.
- Calls for bans on abortion are coded “alarm bells” for the declining birthrate among White women. No one really voices concern about abortion when its Persons of Color seeking the abortion.
- Women who have abortions don’t make the decision lightly. Abortions are often medically/psychologically necessary, especially in the case where the mother’s life is in danger or in the case of rape (remembering that approximately 20-25 percent or more of all people have been or will be victims of rape).
- The Southern Baptist Church, for example, vocally supported a woman’s right to an abortion through the 1960s and through Roe v. Wade, only changing its position with the rise of Jerry Falwell in the early 1980s.
- No one questions a man’s right to control his body. No one should question a woman’s right to control her body. Control includes what goes in the body, what is in the body, and what comes out of the body.
- Life has always been defined as starting at birth, not conception.
Stop the war on women.
Dr. Andrew Joseph Pegoda